Learning-Aligned Employment Program (LAEP)
Welcome Faculty and Staff! We are delighted that you are interested in the SJSU LAEP program. Let’s get started!
The LAEP is a 10-year program offering eligible students at public colleges and universities the opportunity to earn additional state financial aid to help defray their educational costs while gaining quality, education-aligned, career-related employment.
LAEP allows participating students placement in an educationally beneficial position that relates to the student’s area of study, career objective, or the exploration of career objectives. The program includes and emphasizes positions for students with employers that are capable of providing them with full-time employment opportunities after graduation, or opportunities to connect with other employers that are capable of providing them with full-time employment opportunities after graduation, within their areas of study.
View the SJSU LAEP Information Session slide deck for more details.
Getting Started with LAEP
Please complete the LAEP Employer Interest Form to apply for the LAEP program. Please make sure the position you are posting will provide students with direct opportunities to participate in research. Note that research is not limited to scientific research and can take place outside of an academic discipline.
All faculty and staff mentors are required to sign a LAEP form prior to posting any positions on SJSU Handshake or hiring any students. In addition, you must complete the Student Participation Form (p3 of the document) for each student after you hire them. You will receive a notification from DocuSign requesting your signature for the LAEP form, and separate notification for the Student Participation Form. Please review this carefully.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST contact your respective College Director of Resources and Operations (DRO)/Department Resource or Finance Lead, and Supervising MPP prior to discussing arrangements for excess compensation beyond the allotted LAEP funding.
Below is the list of College DROs and Supervising MPPs:
|Health & Human Sciences
|Humanities & the Arts
|Professional & Global Education
|Niña Ria Agustin
|Anne Marie Todd
After you sign the LAEP form, you can now post your positions on SJSU Handshake. Please make sure to follow the Handshake guidelines for LAEP job postings.
Your LAEP job description must include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Name/classification of position
- Name and address of employer
- Department or office where the eligible student will be employed
- Location where the eligible student will perform his or her duties
- Name of the eligible student’s supervisor
- The term of the eligible student’s anticipated employment, including beginning and ending dates
- Purpose or role of the position within the organization
- Duties and responsibilities associated with the position
- Rates of pay for the position
- General qualifications for the position and for various levels and rates of pay associated with the position
- Procedures to determine an eligible student’s rate of pay
- Evaluation procedures and schedules, if applicable
- Career competencies developed (please indicate all that apply from the list below and exclude those that do not apply):
- Career and self development
- Critical thinking
- Equity and inclusion
IMPORTANT NOTE: SJSU LAEP positions must provide participating students with direct opportunities to participate in research that is undertaken by the respective research centers and institutions. Research is not limited to scientific research and can take place outside of an academic discipline. The research should be directed and supervised by faculty, staff, or another mentor who will determine the research requirements.
After your positions are posted, and you start receiving applications, make sure you require student applicants to submit their “LAEP ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE.” This document, issued by the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office (FASO), shows the amount of LAEP funds a student is eligible to receive. You will need the information in this document to complete the student participation form.
After identifying the final candidate(s), please complete the Student Hiring Form and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your final candidate(s) AND a copy of their LAEP eligibility certificate(s). A Student Participation Form on DocuSign will be generated for you to complete. This form must be completed for EACH student hire.
Students will be paid directly from Payroll.
- Students will enter all hours worked through PeopleSoft@Work.
- After entering hours, students must print a screenshot of their time and have this approved by their faculty/staff mentor.
- This approved screenshot must be sent to email@example.com before the end of the pay period so the time can be approved.
Faculty, mentors, and/or department analysts are expected to approve student hours before payment will be disbursed.
Please visit our LAEP FAQs for answers to our most commonly asked questions.